(1) A person who applies for an original certificate of title for a kit vehicle shall provide:
(a) The manufacturer's certificate of origin or an equivalent document if the kit vehicle is a new manufactured vehicle kit or body kit;
(b) The certificate of title or a certified copy or equivalent document for the frame;
(c) Proof of ownership for all major parts used in the construction of the vehicle. Major parts include the frame, engine, axles, transmission, and any other parts that carry vehicle identification numbers;
(d) Bills of sale or invoices for all major components used in the construction of the vehicle. The bills of sale must be notarized unless the vendor is registered with the department of revenue for the collection of retail sales or use tax and must include:
(i) The names and addresses of the seller and purchaser;
(ii) A description of the vehicle or part being sold, including the make, model, and identification or serial number or the yard number if from a wrecking yard;
(iii) The date of sale; and
(iv) The purchase price of the vehicle or part;
(e) A certificate of vehicle inspection completed by the Washington state patrol or other authorized inspector verifying the vehicle identification number, and year and make when applicable. A Washington state patrol vehicle identification number inspector must ensure that all parts are documented by certificates of title, notarized bills of sale, or business receipts, such as those obtained from a wrecking yard purchase;
(f) A completed declaration of value form to determine the value for excise tax purposes if the purchase cost and year is unknown or incomplete;
(g) Payment of use tax on the frame and all component parts used, unless proof of payment of the sales or use tax is submitted; and
(h) An odometer disclosure statement on all originals and transfers of certificates of title for kit vehicles under ten years old, unless otherwise exempt by law.
(2) If the frame from a donor vehicle is used and the remainder of the donor vehicle is to be sold or destroyed, the certificate of title is required as an ownership document to the buyer. The department may make a certified copy of the certificate of title for documentation of the frame for this transaction.
(3) When accepting an application for an original certificate of title for a kit vehicle, the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director shall:
(a) Use the vehicle identification number provided on the manufacturer's certificate of origin. If the vehicle identification number is not available, the Washington state patrol shall assign a vehicle identification number at the time of inspection;
(b) Use the actual model year provided on the manufacturer's certificate of origin as the model year. This is not the model year of the vehicle being replicated;
(c) Record the make as "KITV";
(d) Record in the series and body designation a discrete vehicle model; and
(e) Assign a use class identifying the actual use of the vehicle, such as a passenger car or truck.
(4) A kit vehicle may be registered under RCW 46.18.220 as a street rod vehicle if the vehicle is manufactured to have the same appearance as a similar vehicle manufactured before 1949. Kit vehicles must comply with chapter 204-10 WAC unless the kit vehicle is registered under RCW 46.18.220.
(5) A kit vehicle is exempt from the welding requirements under WAC 204-10-022(8) if, upon application for a certificate of title, the owner furnishes documentation from the manufacturer of the vehicle frame that informs the owner that the welding on the frame was not completed by a certified welder and that the structural strength of the frame has not been certified by an engineer as meeting the applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards set under 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.201, 571.214, 571.216, and 571.220 through 571.224, and the applicable SAE standards.
(6) The department may not deny a certificate of title to an applicant who completes the requisite application, complies with this section, and pays the requisite titling fees and taxes.
[2010 c 161 § 324; 2009 c 284 § 1; 1996 c 225 § 8. Formerly RCW 46.12.440.]
| Effective date -- Intent -- Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session -- 2010 c 161: See notes following RCW 46.04.013.|
Finding -- 1996 c 225: See note following RCW 46.04.125.