State building code council — Established — Membership — Travel expenses — Administrative, clerical assistance.
There is hereby established a state building code council, to be appointed by the governor.
(1) The state building code council shall consist of fifteen members:
(a) Two members must be county elected legislative body members or elected executives;
(b) Two members must be city elected legislative body members or mayors;
(c) One member must be a local government building code enforcement official;
(d) One member must be a local government fire service official;
(e) One member shall represent general construction, specializing in commercial and industrial building construction;
(f) One member shall represent general construction, specializing in residential and multifamily building construction;
(g) One member shall represent the architectural design profession;
(h) One member shall represent the structural engineering profession;
(i) One member shall represent the mechanical engineering profession;
(j) One member shall represent the construction building trades;
(k) One member shall represent manufacturers, installers, or suppliers of building materials and components;
(l) One member must be a person with a physical disability and shall represent the disability community; and
(m) One member shall represent the general public.
(2) At least six of these fifteen members shall reside east of the crest of the Cascade mountains.
(3) The council shall include: Two members of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house, one from each caucus; two members of the senate appointed by the president of the senate, one from each caucus; and an employee of the electrical division of the department of labor and industries, as ex officio, nonvoting members with all other privileges and rights of membership.
(4)(a) Terms of office shall be for three years, or for so long as the member remains qualified for the appointment.
(b) The council shall elect a member to serve as chair of the council for one-year terms of office.
(c) Any member who is appointed by virtue of being an elected official or holding public employment shall be removed from the council if he or she ceases being such an elected official or holding such public employment.
(d) Any member who is appointed to represent a specific private sector industry must maintain sufficiently similar employment or circumstances throughout the term of office to remain qualified to represent the specified industry. Retirement or unemployment is not cause for termination. However, if a councilmember enters into employment outside of the industry he or she has been appointed to represent, then he or she shall be removed from the council.
(e) Any member who no longer qualifies for appointment under this section may not vote on council actions, but may participate as an ex officio, nonvoting member until a replacement member is appointed. A member must notify the council staff and the governor's office within thirty days of the date the member no longer qualifies for appointment under this section. The governor shall appoint a qualified replacement for the member within sixty days of notice.
(5) Before making any appointments to the building code council, the governor shall seek nominations from recognized organizations which represent the entities or interests identified in this section.
(6) Members shall not be compensated but shall receive reimbursement for travel expenses in accordance with RCW 43.03.050 and 43.03.060.
(7) The department of enterprise services shall provide administrative and clerical assistance to the building code council.
[2011 1st sp.s. c 43 § 244; 2010 c 275 § 1; (2010 c 271 § 301 repealed by 2011 1st sp.s. c 43 § 258); 1995 c 399 § 8; 1989 c 246 § 2; 1987 c 505 § 7; 1985 c 360 § 11; 1984 c 287 § 55; 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 34 § 59; 1974 ex.s. c 96 § 7.]
| Effective date -- Purpose -- 2011 1st sp.s. c 43: See notes following RCW 43.19.003.|
Purpose -- Effective date -- 2010 c 271: See notes following RCW 43.330.005.
Legislative findings -- Severability -- Effective date -- 1984 c 287: See notes following RCW 43.03.220.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1975-'76 2nd ex.s. c 34: See notes following RCW 2.08.115.