Credit, debit cards, checks, etc. — Definitions.
As used in RCW 9A.56.280, 9A.56.290, 9A.60.020, 9A.56.320, and 9A.56.330, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Cardholder" means a person to whom a credit card or payment card is issued or a person who otherwise is authorized to use a credit card or payment card.
(2) "Check" means a negotiable instrument that meets the definition of "check" under RCW 62A.3-104 or a blank form instrument that would meet the definition of "check" under RCW62A.3-104 if it were completed and signed.
(3) "Credit card" means a card, plate, booklet, credit card number, credit card account number, or other identifying symbol, instrument, or device that can be used to pay for, or to obtain on credit, goods or services.
(4) "Credit card or payment card transaction" means a sale or other transaction in which a credit card or payment card is used to pay for, or to obtain on credit, goods or services.
(5) "Credit card or payment card transaction record" means a record or evidence of a credit card or payment card transaction, including, without limitation, a paper, sales draft, instrument, or other writing and an electronic or magnetic transmission or record.
(6) "Debit card" means a card used to obtain goods or services by a transaction that debits the cardholder's account, rather than extending credit.
(7) "Financial information" means financial information as defined in RCW 9.35.005.
(8) "Financial institution" means a bank, trust company, mutual savings bank, savings and loan association, or credit union authorized under state or federal law to do business and accept deposits in Washington.
(9) "Means of identification" means means of identification as defined in RCW 9.35.005.
(10) "Merchant" means an owner or operator of any retail mercantile establishment or any agent, employee, lessee, consignee, officer, director, franchisee, or independent contractor of such owner or operator. "Merchant" also means a person who receives from an authorized user, a payment card or information from a payment card, or what the person believes to be a payment card or information from a payment card, as the instrument for obtaining, purchasing, or receiving goods, services, money, or anything else of value from the person.
(11) "Payment card" means a credit card, charge card, debit card, stored value card, or any card that is issued to an authorized card user and that allows the user to obtain goods, services, money, or anything else of value from a merchant.
(12) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, trust, or unincorporated association, but does not include a financial institution or its authorized employees, representatives, or agents.
(13) "Personal identification" means any driver's license, passport, or identification card actually or purportedly issued by any federal, state, local or foreign governmental entity; any credit card or debit card; or any employee identification card actually or purportedly issued by any employer, public or private, including but not limited to a badge or identification or access card.
(14) "Reencoder" means an electronic device that places encoded information from a payment card onto a different payment card.
(15) "Scanning device" means a scanner, reader, or any other electronic device that is used to access, read, scan, obtain, memorize, or store, temporarily or permanently, information encoded on a payment card.
[2003 c 119 § 3; 2003 c 52 § 1; 1993 c 484 § 1.]
| Reviser's note: This section was amended by 2003 c 52 § 1 and by 2003 c 119 § 3, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1).|