Claim of refund or credit.
*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 1883-S.SL) ***
(1) Claims under RCW 82.38.180 shall be filed with the department on forms prescribed by the department and shall show the date of filing and the period covered in the claim, the number of gallons of special fuel used for purposes subject to tax refund, and such other facts and information as may be required. Every such claim shall be supported by an invoice or invoices issued to or by the claimant, as may be prescribed by the department, and such other information as the department may require. The requirement to provide invoices may be waived for small refund amounts, as determined by the department. Claims for refund of special fuel tax must be for at least twenty dollars.
(2) Any amount determined to be refundable by the department under RCW 82.38.180 shall first be credited on any amounts then due and payable from a person to whom the refund is due, and the department shall then certify the balance thereof to the state treasurer, who shall thereupon draw his or her warrant for the certified amount to the person.
(3) No refund or credit shall be approved by the department unless a written claim for refund or credit stating the specific grounds upon which the claim is founded is filed with the department:
(a) Within thirteen months from the date of purchase or from the last day of the month following the close of the reporting period for which the refundable amount or credit is due with respect to refunds or credits allowable under RCW 82.38.180 (1), (2), (4), and (5), and if not filed within this period the right to refund shall be forever barred.
(b) Within five years from the last day of the month following the close of the reporting period for which the overpayment is due with respect to the refunds or credits allowable under RCW 82.38.180(3). The department shall refund any amount paid that has been verified by the department to be more than ten dollars over the amount actually due for the reporting period. Payment credits shall not be carried forward and applied to subsequent tax returns for a person licensed under this chapter.
(4) Within thirty days after disallowing any claim in whole or in part, the department shall serve written notice of its action on the claimant.
(5) Interest shall be paid upon any refundable amount or credit due under RCW 82.38.180(3) at the rate of one percent per month from the last day of the calendar month following the reporting period for which the refundable amount or credit is due.
The interest shall be paid:
(a) In the case of a refund, to the last day of the calendar month following the date upon which the person making the overpayment, if he or she has not already filed a claim, is notified by the department that a claim may be filed or the date upon which the claim is approved by the department, whichever date is earlier.
(b) In the case of a credit, to the same date as that to which interest is computed on the tax or amount against which the credit is applied.
If the department determines that any overpayment has been made intentionally or by reason of carelessness, it shall not allow any interest thereon.
(6) The department shall pay interest of one percent on any refund payable under RCW 82.38.180 (1), (2), or (6) that is issued more than thirty state business days after the receipt of a claim properly filed and completed in accordance with this section. After the end of the thirty business-day period, additional interest shall accrue at the rate of one percent on the amount payable for each thirty calendar-day period, until the refund is issued.
(7) No injunction or writ of mandate or other legal or equitable process shall issue in any suit, action or proceeding in any court against this state or against any officer of the state to prevent or enjoin the collection under this chapter of any tax or any amount of tax required to be collected.
[1998 c 176 § 74; 1997 c 183 § 10; 1996 c 91 § 4; 1979 c 40 § 14; 1973 1st ex.s. c 156 § 8; 1972 ex.s. c 138 § 5; 1971 ex.s. c 175 § 20.]
| Effective date -- 1996 c 91: See note following RCW 46.87.150.|
Effective date -- 1972 ex.s. c 138: See note following RCW 82.36.280.