Periodic tax reports — Forms — Filing — Time extensions during state of emergency.
*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 1883-S.SL) ***
(1) For the purpose of determining the amount of liability for the tax herein imposed, and to periodically update license information, each licensee, other than a special fuel distributor, an international fuel tax agreement licensee, or a dyed special fuel user, shall file monthly tax reports with the department, on forms prescribed by the department.
(2) Dyed special fuel users whose estimated yearly tax liability is two hundred fifty dollars or less, shall file a report yearly, and dyed special fuel users whose estimated yearly tax liability is more than two hundred fifty dollars, shall file reports quarterly. Special fuel users licensed under the international fuel tax agreement shall file reports quarterly. Heating oil dealers subject to the pollution liability insurance agency fee and reporting requirements shall remit pollution liability insurance agency returns and any associated payment due to the department annually.
(3) The department shall establish the reporting frequency for each applicant at the time the special fuel license is issued. If it becomes apparent that any licensee is not reporting in accordance with the above schedule, the department shall change the licensee's reporting frequency by giving thirty days' notice to the licensee by mail to the licensee's address of record. A report shall be filed with the department even though no special fuel was used, or tax is due, for the reporting period. Each tax report shall contain a declaration by the person making the same, to the effect that the statements contained therein are true and are made under penalties of perjury, which declaration shall have the same force and effect as a verification of the report and is in lieu of such verification. The report shall show such information as the department may reasonably require for the proper administration and enforcement of this chapter. A licensee shall file a tax report on or before the twenty-fifth day of the next succeeding calendar month following the period to which it relates.
(4) Subject to the written approval of the department, tax reports may cover a period ending on a day other than the last day of the calendar month. Taxpayers granted approval to file reports in this manner will file such reports on or before the twenty-fifth day following the end of the reporting period. No change to this reporting period will be made without the written authorization of the department.
(5) If the final filing date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday the next secular or business day shall be the final filing date. Such reports shall be considered filed or received on the date shown by the post office cancellation mark stamped upon an envelope containing such report properly addressed to the department, or on the date it was mailed if proof satisfactory to the department is available to establish the date it was mailed.
(6) The department, if it deems it necessary in order to insure payment of the tax imposed by this chapter, or to facilitate the administration of this chapter, has the authority to require the filing of reports and tax remittances at shorter intervals than one month if, in its opinion, an existing bond has become insufficient.
(7) During a state of emergency declared under RCW 43.06.010(12), the department, on its own motion or at the request of any taxpayer affected by the emergency, may extend the time for filing any report or the due date for tax remittances as the department deems proper.
[2008 c 181 § 506; 2007 c 515 § 28; 1998 c 176 § 67; 1996 c 104 § 11; 1995 c 274 § 23; 1991 c 339 § 15; 1990 c 42 § 203; 1988 c 23 § 1; 1983 c 242 § 3; 1979 c 40 § 11; 1973 1st ex.s. c 156 § 6; 1971 ex.s. c 175 § 16.]
| Part headings not law -- 2008 c 181: See note following RCW 43.06.220.|
Severability -- Effective date -- 2007 c 515: See notes following RCW 82.36.010.
Purpose -- Headings -- Severability -- Effective dates -- Application -- Implementation -- 1990 c 42: See notes following RCW 82.36.025.
Effective date -- 1988 c 23: "This act shall take effect January 1, 1989." [1988 c 23 § 2.]