Credit—Mechanical lifting devices purchased by hospitals.
(1) In computing the tax imposed under this chapter, a hospital may take a credit for the cost of purchasing mechanical lifting devices and other equipment that are primarily used to minimize patient handling by health care providers, consistent with a safe patient handling program developed and implemented by the hospital in compliance with RCW 70.41.390
. The credit is equal to one hundred percent of the cost of the mechanical lifting devices or other equipment.
(2) No application is necessary for the credit, however, a hospital taking a credit under this section must maintain records, as required by the department, necessary to verify eligibility for the credit under this section. The hospital is subject to all of the requirements of chapter 82.32
RCW. A credit earned during one calendar year may be carried over to be credited against taxes incurred in a subsequent calendar year. No refunds shall be granted for credits under this section.
(3) The maximum credit that may be earned under this section for each hospital is limited to one thousand dollars for each acute care available inpatient bed.
(4) Credits are available on a first in-time basis. The department shall disallow any credits, or portion thereof, that would cause the total amount of credits claimed statewide under this section to exceed ten million dollars. If the ten million dollar limitation is reached, the department shall notify hospitals that the annual statewide limit has been met. In addition, the department shall provide written notice to any hospital that has claimed tax credits after the ten million dollar limitation in this subsection has been met. The notice shall indicate the amount of tax due and shall provide that the tax be paid within thirty days from the date of such notice. The department shall not assess penalties and interest as provided in chapter 82.32
RCW on the amount due in the initial notice if the amount due is paid by the due date specified in the notice, or any extension thereof.
(5) Credit may not be claimed under this section for the acquisition of mechanical lifting devices and other equipment if the acquisition occurred before June 7, 2006.
(6) Credit may not be claimed under this section for any acquisition of mechanical lifting devices and other equipment that occurs after December 30, 2010.
(7) The department shall issue an annual report on the amount of credits claimed by hospitals under this section, with the first report due on July 1, 2008.
(8) For the purposes of this section, "hospital" has the meaning provided in RCW 70.41.020
. [2006 c 165 § 5.
[2006 c 165 § 5.]
Findings—2006 c 165:
See note following RCW 70.41.390