The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Comestible" means edible.
(2) "Commercial decabromo diphenyl ether" or "commercial deca-bde" means the chemical mixture of decabromo diphenyl ether, including associated polybrominated diphenyl ether impurities not intentionally added.
(3) "Department" means the department of ecology.
(4) "Electronic enclosure" means the plastic housing that encloses the components of electronic products, including but not limited to televisions and computers.
(5) "Manufacturer" means any person, firm, association, partnership, corporation, governmental entity, organization, or joint venture that produces a product containing polybrominated diphenyl ethers or an importer or domestic distributor of a noncomestible product containing polybrominated diphenyl ethers. A manufacturer does not include a retailer who:
(a) Adds a private label brand or cobrands a product for sale; or
(b) Assembles components to create a single noncomestible product based on an individual consumer preference.
(6) "Mattress" has the same meaning as defined by the United States consumer product safety commission in 16 C.F.R. Part 1633 (2007) as it existed on July 22, 2007, and includes mattress sets, box springs, futons, crib mattresses, and youth mattresses. "Mattress" includes mattress pads.
(7) "Medical device" means an instrument, machine, implant, or diagnostic test used to help diagnose a disease or other condition or to cure, treat, or prevent disease.
(8) "Polybrominated diphenyl ethers" or "PBDEs" means chemical forms that consist of diphenyl ethers bound with bromine atoms. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers include, but are not limited to, the three primary forms of the commercial mixtures known as pentabromo diphenyl ether (penta-bde), octabromo diphenyl ether (octa-bde), and decabromo diphenyl ether (deca-bde).
(9) "Residential upholstered furniture" means residential seating products intended for indoor use in a home or other dwelling intended for residential occupancy that consists in whole or in part of resilient cushioning materials enclosed within a covering consisting of fabric or related materials, if the resilient cushioning materials are sold with the item of upholstered furniture and the upholstered furniture is constructed with a contiguous upholstered seat and back that may include arms.
(10) "Retailer" means a person who offers a product for sale at retail through any means including, but not limited to, remote offerings such as sales outlets, catalogs, or the internet, but does not include a sale that is a wholesale transaction with a distributor or a retailer. A retailer does not include a person, firm, association, partnership, corporation, governmental entity, organization, or joint venture that both manufactures and sells a product at retail.
(11) "Technically feasible" means an alternative that is available at a cost and in sufficient quantity to permit the manufacturer to produce an economically viable product.
(12) "Transportation vehicle" means a mechanized vehicle that is used to transport goods or people including, but not limited to, airplanes, automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, buses, trains, boats, ships, streetcars, or monorail cars.