Written warning — Penalty — Appeal.
(1) The department shall send a written warning and a copy of this chapter and any rules adopted to implement this chapter to a producer who is not participating in a product stewardship program approved by the department and whose mercury-containing lights are being sold in or into the state.
(2) A producer not participating in a product stewardship program approved by the department whose mercury-containing lights continue to be sold in or into the state sixty days after receiving a written warning from the department shall be assessed a penalty of up to one thousand dollars for each violation. A violation is one day of sales.
(3) If any producer fails to implement its approved plan, the department shall assess a penalty of up to five thousand dollars for the first violation along with notification that the producer must implement its plan within thirty days of the violation. After thirty days, any producer failing to implement their approved plan must be assessed a penalty of up to ten thousand dollars for the second and each subsequent violation. A subsequent violation occurs each thirty-day period that the producer fails to implement the approved plan.
(4) The department shall send a written warning to a producer that fails to submit a product stewardship plan, update or change the plan when required, or submit an annual report as required under this chapter. The written warning must include compliance requirements and notification that the requirements must be met within sixty days. If requirements are not met within sixty days, the producer will be assessed a ten thousand dollar penalty per day of noncompliance starting with the first day of notice of noncompliance.
(5) Penalties prescribed under this section must be reduced by fifty percent if the producer complies within thirty days of the second violation notice.
(6) A producer may appeal penalties prescribed under this section to the pollution control hearings board created under chapter 43.21B RCW.
[2010 c 130 § 10.]
| Sunset Act application: See note following chapter digest.|