Departmental duties and responsibilities.
The department of social and health services, in consultation with the state department of health, and individuals or groups having experience and knowledge of the problems of victims of domestic violence, shall:
(1) Establish minimum standards for shelters applying for grants from the department under this chapter. Classifications may be made dependent upon size, geographic location, and population needs;
(2) Receive grant applications for the development and establishment of shelters for victims of domestic violence;
(3) Distribute funds, within forty-five days after approval, to those shelters meeting departmental standards;
(4) Evaluate biennially each shelter receiving departmental funds for compliance with the established minimum standards;
(5) Review the minimum standards each biennium to ensure applicability to community and client needs; and
(6) Administer funds available from the domestic violence prevention account under RCW 70.123.150 and establish minimum standards for preventive, nonshelter community-based services receiving funds administered by the department. Preventive, nonshelter community-based services include services for victims of domestic violence from communities that have been traditionally underserved or unserved and services for children who have witnessed domestic violence.
[2005 c 374 § 4; 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 § 235; 1979 ex.s. c 245 § 3.]