The purpose of this chapter is to establish a comprehensive statewide framework for the planning, regulation, control, and management of hazardous waste which will prevent land, air, and water pollution and conserve the natural, economic, and energy resources of the state. To this end it is the purpose of this chapter:
(1) To provide broad powers of regulation to the department of ecology relating to management of hazardous wastes and releases of hazardous substances;
(2) To promote waste reduction and to encourage other improvements in waste management practices;
(3) To promote cooperation between state and local governments by assigning responsibilities for planning for hazardous wastes to the state and planning for moderate-risk waste to local government;
(4) To provide for prevention of problems related to improper management of hazardous substances before such problems occur; and
(5) To assure that needed hazardous waste management facilities may be sited in the state, and to ensure the safe operation of the facilities.
[1985 c 448 § 3.]
| Severability -- 1985 c 448: See note following RCW 70.105.005.|