Local health officer — Powers and duties.
*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 1679-S.SL) ***
The local health officer, acting under the direction of the local board of health or under direction of the administrative officer appointed under RCW 70.05.040 or 70.05.035, if any, shall:
(1) Enforce the public health statutes of the state, rules of the state board of health and the secretary of health, and all local health rules, regulations and ordinances within his or her jurisdiction including imposition of penalties authorized under RCW 70.119A.030 and 70.118.130, the confidentiality provisions in RCW 70.24.105 and rules adopted to implement those provisions, and filing of actions authorized by RCW 43.70.190;
(2) Take such action as is necessary to maintain health and sanitation supervision over the territory within his or her jurisdiction;
(3) Control and prevent the spread of any dangerous, contagious or infectious diseases that may occur within his or her jurisdiction;
(4) Inform the public as to the causes, nature, and prevention of disease and disability and the preservation, promotion and improvement of health within his or her jurisdiction;
(5) Prevent, control or abate nuisances which are detrimental to the public health;
(6) Attend all conferences called by the secretary of health or his or her authorized representative;
(7) Collect such fees as are established by the state board of health or the local board of health for the issuance or renewal of licenses or permits or such other fees as may be authorized by law or by the rules of the state board of health;
(8) Inspect, as necessary, expansion or modification of existing public water systems, and the construction of new public water systems, to assure that the expansion, modification, or construction conforms to system design and plans;
(9) Take such measures as he or she deems necessary in order to promote the public health, to participate in the establishment of health educational or training activities, and to authorize the attendance of employees of the local health department or individuals engaged in community health programs related to or part of the programs of the local health department.
[2007 c 343 § 10; 1999 c 391 § 5; 1993 c 492 § 239; 1991 c 3 § 309; 1990 c 133 § 10; 1984 c 25 § 7; 1979 c 141 § 80; 1967 ex.s. c 51 § 12.]
| Captions and part headings not law -- 2007 c 343: See RCW 70.118B.900.|
Findings -- Purpose -- 1999 c 391: See note following RCW 70.05.180.
Findings -- Intent -- 1993 c 492: See notes following RCW 43.20.050.
Short title -- Severability -- Savings -- Captions not law -- Reservation of legislative power -- Effective dates -- 1993 c 492: See RCW 43.72.910 through 43.72.915.
Findings -- Severability -- 1990 c 133: See notes following RCW 36.94.140.