Requisites to trustee's sale.
It shall be requisite to a trustee's sale: "THIS NOTICE IS ONE STEP IN A PROCESS THAT COULD RESULT IN YOUR
(1) That the deed of trust contains a power of sale;
(2) That the deed of trust contains a statement that the real property conveyed is not used principally for agricultural purposes; provided, if the statement is false on the date the deed of trust was granted or amended to include that statement, and false on the date of the trustee's sale, then the deed of trust must be foreclosed judicially. Real property is used for agricultural purposes if it is used in an operation that produces crops, livestock, or aquatic goods;
(3) That a default has occurred in the obligation secured or a covenant of the grantor, which by the terms of the deed of trust makes operative the power to sell;
(4) That no action commenced by the beneficiary of the deed of trust is now pending to seek satisfaction of an obligation secured by the deed of trust in any court by reason of the grantor's default on the obligation secured: PROVIDED, That (a) the seeking of the appointment of a receiver shall not constitute an action for purposes of this chapter; and (b) if a receiver is appointed, the grantor shall be entitled to any rents or profits derived from property subject to a homestead as defined in RCW 6.13.010. If the deed of trust was granted to secure a commercial loan, this subsection shall not apply to actions brought to enforce any other lien or security interest granted to secure the obligation secured by the deed of trust being foreclosed;
(5) That the deed of trust has been recorded in each county in which the land or some part thereof is situated;
(6) That prior to the date of the notice of trustee's sale and continuing thereafter through the date of the trustee's sale, the trustee must maintain a street address in this state where personal service of process may be made, and the trustee must maintain a physical presence and have telephone service at such address;
(7)(a) That, for residential real property, before the notice of trustee's sale is recorded, transmitted, or served, the trustee shall have proof that the beneficiary is the owner of any promissory note or other obligation secured by the deed of trust. A declaration by the beneficiary made under the penalty of perjury stating that the beneficiary is the actual holder of the promissory note or other obligation secured by the deed of trust shall be sufficient proof as required under this subsection.
(b) Unless the trustee has violated his or her duty under RCW 61.24.010(4), the trustee is entitled to rely on the beneficiary's declaration as evidence of proof required under this subsection.
(c) This subsection (7) does not apply to association beneficiaries subject to chapter 64.32, 64.34, or 64.38 RCW;
(8) That at least thirty days before notice of sale shall be recorded, transmitted or served, written notice of default shall be transmitted by the beneficiary or trustee to the borrower and grantor at their last known addresses by both first-class and either registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, and the beneficiary or trustee shall cause to be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises, a copy of the notice, or personally served on the borrower and grantor. This notice shall contain the following information:
(a) A description of the property which is then subject to the deed of trust;
(b) A statement identifying each county in which the deed of trust is recorded and the document number given to the deed of trust upon recording by each county auditor or recording officer;
(c) A statement that the beneficiary has declared the borrower or grantor to be in default, and a concise statement of the default alleged;
(d) An itemized account of the amount or amounts in arrears if the default alleged is failure to make payments;
(e) An itemized account of all other specific charges, costs, or fees that the borrower, grantor, or any guarantor is or may be obliged to pay to reinstate the deed of trust before the recording of the notice of sale;
(f) A statement showing the total of (d) and (e) of this subsection, designated clearly and conspicuously as the amount necessary to reinstate the note and deed of trust before the recording of the notice of sale;
(g) A statement that failure to cure the alleged default within thirty days of the date of mailing of the notice, or if personally served, within thirty days of the date of personal service thereof, may lead to recordation, transmittal, and publication of a notice of sale, and that the property described in (a) of this subsection may be sold at public auction at a date no less than one hundred twenty days in the future, or no less than one hundred fifty days in the future if the borrower received a letter under RCW 61.24.031;
(h) A statement that the effect of the recordation, transmittal, and publication of a notice of sale will be to (i) increase the costs and fees and (ii) publicize the default and advertise the grantor's property for sale;
(i) A statement that the effect of the sale of the grantor's property by the trustee will be to deprive the grantor of all their interest in the property described in (a) of this subsection;
(j) A statement that the borrower, grantor, and any guarantor has recourse to the courts pursuant to RCW 61.24.130 to contest the alleged default on any proper ground;
(k) In the event the property secured by the deed of trust is owner-occupied residential real property, a statement, prominently set out at the beginning of the notice, which shall state as follows:
LOSING YOUR HOME.
You may be eligible for mediation in front of a neutral third party to help save your home. CONTACT A HOUSING COUNSELOR OR AN ATTORNEY LICENSED IN WASHINGTON NOW
to assess your situation and refer you to mediation if you might benefit. Mediation MUST
be requested between the time you receive the Notice of Default and no later than twenty days after the Notice of Trustee Sale is recorded. DO NOT DELAY.
If you do nothing, a notice of sale may be issued as soon as 30 days from the date of this notice of default. The notice of sale will provide a minimum of 120 days' notice of the date of the actual foreclosure sale. BE CAREFUL
of people who claim they can help you. There are many individuals and businesses that prey upon borrowers in distress. REFER TO THE CONTACTS BELOW
for sources of assistance. SEEKING ASSISTANCE
Housing counselors and legal assistance may be available at little or no cost to you. If you would like assistance in determining your rights and opportunities to keep your house, you may contact the following:
The statewide foreclosure hotline for assistance and referral to housing counselors recommended by the Housing Finance Commission
Telephone: . . . . . . . Web site: . . . . . .
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
Telephone: . . . . . . . Web site: . . . . . . .
The statewide civil legal aid hotline for assistance and referrals to other housing counselors and attorneys
Telephone: . . . . . . . Web site: . . . . . ."
The beneficiary or trustee shall obtain the toll-free numbers and web site information from the department for inclusion in the notice; and
(l) In the event the property secured by the deed of trust is residential real property, the name and address of the owner of any promissory notes or other obligations secured by the deed of trust and the name, address, and telephone number of a party acting as a servicer of the obligations secured by the deed of trust; and
(9) That, for owner-occupied residential real property, before the notice of the trustee's sale is recorded, transmitted, or served, the beneficiary has complied with RCW 61.24.031
and, if applicable, RCW 61.24.163
[2012 c 185 § 9; 2011 c 58 § 4; 2009 c 292 § 8. Prior: 2008 c 153 § 2; 2008 c 108 § 22; 1998 c 295 § 4; 1990 c 111 § 1; 1987 c 352 § 2; 1985 c 193 § 3; 1975 1st ex.s. c 129 § 3; 1965 c 74 § 3.]
| Findings -- Intent -- Short title -- 2011 c 58: See notes following RCW 61.24.005.|
Findings -- 2008 c 108: See RCW 19.144.005.
Application -- 1985 c 193: See note following RCW 61.24.020.