The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Commercial real estate" means a fee title interest or possessory estate in real property located in this state except an interest in real property which is (a) improved with one single-family residential unit or one multifamily structure with four or less residential units, or (b) unimproved and the maximum permitted development is one to four residential units or structures under the county or city zoning ordinances or comprehensive plan applicable to that real estate, or (c) classified as farm and agricultural land or timber land for assessment purposes pursuant to chapter 84.34 RCW, or (d) improved with single-family residential units such as condominiums, townhouses, timeshares, or stand-alone houses in a subdivision that may be legally sold, leased, or otherwise disposed of on a unit-by-unit basis. Real estate will be considered commercial real estate if the commission agreement so provides, or if it meets the definition contained in this section on the date of the disposition.
(2) "Commission agreement" means a written instrument which meets the requirements of RCW 19.36.010 signed by the owner, or by a party duly authorized to sign on behalf of the owner, of commercial real estate, pursuant to which the owner agrees to pay a broker a real estate commission upon either the disposition or lease of commercial real estate or upon entering into an agreement for disposition or lease of commercial real estate. When a broker and owner execute multiple versions of a commission agreement regarding the same disposition of commercial real estate, the final written version of the commission agreement, which incorporates the final agreement between the broker and the owner, constitutes the "commission agreement" and shall be used to determine the amount of the lien created by this chapter.
(3) "Days" means calendar days. However, if a period ends on a day other than a business day, then the last day shall be the next business day.
(4) "Disposition" means a voluntary transfer or conveyance of commercial real estate.
(5) "Escrow closing agent" means the person or entity who receives documents and funds for recording and disbursement in completing a transaction for the disposition of commercial real estate.
(6) "Lease" means a written agreement which gives rise to a relationship of landlord and tenant, affecting commercial real estate, such that the holder of a fee simple interest or possessory estate in commercial real estate permits another to possess the commercial real estate for a period, and which meets the requirements of RCW 19.36.010, if applicable.
(7) "Net rental proceeds" means the base rent paid by the tenant under a lease, less any amounts currently due under the terms of liens which have priority over the lien created under this chapter. Base rent is the rent so designated in a lease as base rent, or a similar term, for the possession and use of the commercial real estate, but does not include separate payments made by tenants for insurance, taxes, utilities, or other expenses.
(8) "Owner" means a person or entity which is vested in record fee title or a possessory estate in commercial real estate.
(9)(a) "Owner's net proceeds" means the gross sales proceeds from the disposition of the commercial real estate described in a notice of claim of lien against proceeds pursuant to this chapter, less the following: (i) Amounts necessary to pay all encumbrances and liens which have priority over the lien created by this chapter other than those permitted to remain by the buyer; (ii) owner's closing costs, such as real estate excise tax, title insurance premiums, real estate tax and assessment prorations, and escrow fees payable by the owner pursuant to an agreement with the buyer; and (iii) amounts held by a third party for use by the owner to complete an exchange of real estate which is deferred from federal income tax under section 1031 of the internal revenue code of 1986, as amended.
(b) "Owner's net proceeds" shall include any gross sales proceeds which are held by a third party for purposes of completing an exchange of real estate which is deferred from federal income tax under section 1031 of the internal revenue code of 1986, as amended, but are subsequently not used for that purpose. "Owner's net proceeds" are personal property, upon which the lien created by this chapter attaches.
(10) "Real estate broker" or "broker" means the same as defined in *RCW 18.85.010.
(11) "Real property" means one or more parcels or tracts of land, including appurtenances or improvements.
[1997 c 315 § 1.]
| *Reviser's note: RCW 18.85.010 was recodified as RCW 18.85.011 pursuant to 2008 c 23 § 49, effective July 1, 2010.|