Child support obligations.
(1) An individual filing a new claim for unemployment compensation shall, at the time of filing the claim, disclose whether or not the individual owes child support obligations as defined under subsection (7) of this section. If the individual discloses that he or she owes child support obligations and is determined to be eligible for unemployment compensation, the commissioner shall notify the state or local child support enforcement agency enforcing those obligations that the individual has been determined to be eligible for unemployment compensation.
(2) The commissioner shall deduct and withhold from any unemployment compensation payable to an individual who owes child support obligations as defined under subsection (7) of this section:
(a) The amount specified by the individual to the commissioner to be deducted and withheld under this subsection, if neither (b) nor (c) of this subsection is applicable;
(b) The amount (if any) determined pursuant to an agreement submitted to the commissioner under section 454(20)(B)(i) of the Social Security Act by the state or local child support enforcement agency, unless (c) of this subsection is applicable; or
(c) Any amount otherwise required to be so deducted and withheld from such unemployment compensation pursuant to legal process, as that term is defined in section 462(e) of the Social Security Act, properly served upon the commissioner.
(3) Any amount deducted and withheld under subsection (2) of this section shall be paid by the commissioner to the appropriate state or local child support enforcement agency.
(4) Any amount deducted and withheld under subsection (2) of this section shall be treated for all purposes as if it were paid to the individual as unemployment compensation and paid by that individual to the state or local child support enforcement agency in satisfaction of the individual's child support obligations.
(5) For the purposes of this section, "unemployment compensation" means any compensation payable under this chapter including amounts payable by the commissioner under an agreement under any federal law providing for compensation, assistance, or allowances with respect to unemployment.
(6) This section applies only if appropriate arrangements have been made for reimbursement by the state or local child support enforcement agency for the administrative costs incurred by the commissioner under this section which are attributable to child support obligations being enforced by the state or local child support enforcement agency.
(7) "Child support obligations" as used in this section means only those obligations which are being enforced pursuant to a plan described in section 454 of the Social Security Act which has been approved by the secretary of health and human services under part D of Title IV of the Social Security Act.
(8) "State or local child support enforcement agency" as used in this section means any agency of this state or a political subdivision thereof operating pursuant to a plan described in subsection (7) of this section.
[1982 1st ex.s. c 18 § 11. Prior: 1982 c 201 § 3.]
| Severability -- Conflict with federal requirements -- 1982 1st ex.s. c 18: See notes following RCW 50.12.200.|