(1) The department is further directed to conduct such review by soliciting and obtaining expressions from local community groups in order to be properly informed as to problems being experienced within the area served by the Washington state ferries. In order that local representation may be established, the department shall give prior notice of the review to the ferry advisory committees.
(2) The legislative authorities of San Juan, Skagit, Clallam, and Jefferson counties shall each appoint a committee to consist of five members to serve as an advisory committee to the department or its designated representative in such review. The legislative authorities of other counties that contain ferry terminals shall appoint ferry advisory committees consisting of three members for each terminal area in each county, except for Vashon Island, which shall have one committee, and its members shall be appointed by the Vashon/Maury Island community council. At least one person appointed to each ferry advisory committee shall be representative of an established ferry user group or of frequent users of the ferry system. Each member shall reside in the vicinity of the terminal that the advisory committee represents.
(3) The members of the San Juan, Clallam, and Jefferson county ferry advisory committees shall be appointed for four-year terms. The initial terms shall commence on July 1, 1982, and end on June 30, 1986. Any vacancy shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term by the appointing authority. At least one person appointed to the advisory committee shall be representative of an established ferry-user group or of frequent users of the ferry system, at least one shall be representative of persons or firms using or depending upon the ferry system for commerce, and one member shall be representative of a local government planning body or its staff. Every member shall be a resident of the county upon whose advisory committee he or she sits, and not more than three members shall at the time of their appointment be members of the same major political party.
(4) The members of each terminal area committee shall be appointed for four-year terms. The initial terms of the members of each terminal area committee shall be staggered as follows: All terms shall commence September 1, 1988, with one member's term expiring August 31, 1990, one member's term expiring August 31, 1991, and the remaining member's term expiring August 31, 1992. Any vacancy shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term by the appointing authority. Not more than two members of any terminal-area committee may be from the same political party at the time of their appointment, and in a county having more than one committee, the overall party representation shall be as nearly equal as possible.
(5) The chair[s] of the several committees constitute an executive committee of the Washington state ferry users. The executive committee shall meet twice each year with representatives of the marine division of the department to review ferry system issues.
(6) The committees to be appointed by the county legislative authorities shall serve without fee or compensation.
[2010 c 8 § 10020; 1988 c 100 § 1; 1983 c 15 § 24; 1983 c 3 § 137; 1977 c 29 § 1; 1961 c 13 § 47.60.310. Prior: 1959 c 199 § 3.]