In addition to the definitions contained in RCW 46.70.011, which are incorporated by reference into this chapter, the definitions set forth in this section apply only for the purposes of this chapter.
(1) A "new motor vehicle" is a vehicle that has not been titled by a state and ownership of which may be transferred on a manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO).
(2) "New motor vehicle dealer" means a motor vehicle dealer engaged in the business of buying, selling, exchanging, or otherwise dealing in new motor vehicles or new and used motor vehicles at an established place of business, under a franchise, sales and service agreement, or contract with the manufacturer of the new motor vehicles. However, the term "new motor vehicle dealer" does not include a miscellaneous vehicle dealer as defined in *RCW 46.70.011(3)(c) or a motorcycle dealer as defined in **chapter 46.94 RCW.
(3) "Franchise" means one or more agreements, whether oral or written, between a manufacturer and a new motor vehicle dealer, under which the new motor vehicle dealer is authorized to sell, service, and repair new motor vehicles, parts, and accessories under a common name, trade name, trademark, or service mark of the manufacturer.
"Franchise" includes an oral or written contract and includes a dealer agreement, either expressed or implied, between a manufacturer and a new motor vehicle dealer that purports to fix the legal rights and liabilities between the parties and under which (a) the dealer is granted the right to purchase and resell motor vehicles manufactured, distributed, or imported by the manufacturer; (b) the dealer's business is associated with the trademark, trade name, commercial symbol, or advertisement designating the franchisor or the products distributed by the manufacturer; and (c) the dealer's business relies on the manufacturer for a continued supply of motor vehicles, parts, and accessories.
(4) "Good faith" means honesty in fact and fair dealing in the trade as defined and interpreted in ***RCW 62A.2-103.
(5) "Designated successor" means:
(a) The spouse, biological or adopted child, stepchild, grandchild, parent, brother, or sister of the owner of a new motor vehicle dealership who, in the case of the owner's death, is entitled to inherit the ownership interest in the new motor vehicle dealership under the terms of the owner's will or similar document, and if there is no such will or similar document, then under applicable intestate laws;
(b) A qualified person experienced in the business of a new motor vehicle dealer who has been nominated by the owner of a new motor vehicle dealership as the successor in a written, notarized, and witnessed instrument submitted to the manufacturer; or
(c) In the case of an incapacitated owner of a new motor vehicle dealership, the person who has been appointed by a court as the legal representative of the incapacitated owner's property.
(6) "Owner" means a person holding an ownership interest in the business entity operating as a new motor vehicle dealer and who is the designated dealer in the new motor vehicle franchise agreement.
(7) "Person" means every natural person, partnership, corporation, association, trust, estate, or any other legal entity.
[2003 c 21 § 1; 1989 c 415 § 2.]
| Reviser's note: *(1) RCW 46.70.011 was amended by 2006 c 364 § 1, changing subsection (3) to subsection (4). RCW 46.70.011 was subsequently alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k), changing subsection (4) to subsection (17), effective July 1, 2011.|
**(2) Chapter 46.94 RCW was repealed by 2003 c 354 § 24. Cf. chapter 46.93 RCW.
***(3) RCW 62A.2-103 was amended by 2012 c 214 § 801, deleting the definition of "good faith."
Captions not law -- 2003 c 21: "Captions used in this act are not part of the law." [2003 c 21 § 7.]