The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Behind-the-wheel instruction" means instruction in an approved driver training school instruction vehicle according to and inclusive of the minimum required curriculum. Behind-the-wheel instruction is characterized by driving experience.
(2) "Classroom" means a space dedicated to and used exclusively by a driver training instructor for the instruction of students. With prior department approval, a branch office classroom may be located within alternative facilities, such as a public or private library, school, community college, college or university, or a business training facility.
(3) "Classroom instruction" means that portion of a traffic safety education course that is characterized by classroom-based student instruction conducted by or under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor or licensed instructors.
(4) "Director" means the director of the department of licensing of the state of Washington.
(5) "Driver training education course" means a course of instruction in traffic safety education approved and licensed by the department of licensing that consists of classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction as documented by the minimum approved curriculum.
(6) "Driver training school" means a commercial driver training school engaged in the business of giving instruction, for a fee, in the operation of automobiles.
(7) "Enrollment" means the collecting of a fee or the signing of a contract for a driver training education course. "Enrollment" does not include the collecting of names and contact information for enrolling students once a driver training school is licensed to instruct.
(8) "Fraudulent practices" means any conduct or representation on the part of a driver training school owner or instructor including:
(a) Inducing anyone to believe, or to give the impression, that a license to operate a motor vehicle or any other license granted by the director may be obtained by any means other than those prescribed by law, or furnishing or obtaining the same by illegal or improper means, or requesting, accepting, or collecting money for such purposes;
(b) Operating a driver training school without a license, providing instruction without an instructor's license, verifying enrollment prior to being licensed, misleading or false statements on applications for a commercial driver training school license or instructor's license or on any required records or supporting documentation;
(c) Failing to fully document and maintain all required driver training school records of instruction, school operation, and instructor training;
(d) Issuing a driver training course certificate without requiring completion of the necessary behind-the-wheel and classroom instruction.
(9) "Instructor" means any person employed by or otherwise associated with a driver training school to instruct persons in the operation of an automobile.
(10) "Owner" means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or other person or group that holds a substantial interest in a driver training school.
(11) "Person" means any individual, firm, corporation, partnership, or association.
(12) "Place of business" means a designated location at which the business of a driver training school is transacted or its records are kept.
(13) "Student" means any person enrolled in an approved driver training course.
(14) "Substantial interest holder" means a person who has actual or potential influence over the management or operation of any driver training school. Evidence of substantial interest includes, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:
(a) Directly or indirectly owning, operating, managing, or controlling a driver training school or any part of a driver training school;
(b) Directly or indirectly profiting from or assuming liability for debts of a driver training school;
(c) Is an officer or director of a driver training school;
(d) Owning ten percent or more of any class of stock in a privately or closely held corporate driver training school, or five percent or more of any class of stock in a publicly traded corporate driver training school;
(e) Furnishing ten percent or more of the capital, whether in cash, goods, or services, for the operation of a driver training school during any calendar year; or
(f) Directly or indirectly receiving a salary, commission, royalties, or other form of compensation from the activity in which a driver training school is or seeks to be engaged.
[2010 1st sp.s. c 7 § 19; 2009 c 101 § 1; 2006 c 219 § 2; 1986 c 80 § 1; 1979 ex.s. c 51 § 1.]
| Effective date -- 2010 1st sp.s. c 26; 2010 1st sp.s. c 7: See note following RCW 43.03.027.|
Effective date -- 2006 c 219: See note following RCW 46.82.285.