Collector vehicle license plates.
(1) A registered owner may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a collector vehicle license plate for a motor vehicle that is at least thirty years old. The motor vehicle must be operated primarily as a collector vehicle and be in good running order. The applicant for the collector vehicle license plate shall:
(a) Purchase a registration for the motor vehicle as required under chapters 46.16A
(b) Pay the special license plate fee established under *RCW 46.17.220
(1)(d), in addition to any other fees or taxes required by law.
(2) A person applying for a collector vehicle license plate may:
(a) Receive a collector vehicle license plate assigned by the department; or
(b) Provide an actual Washington state issued license plate designated for general use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture.
(3) Collector vehicle license plates:
(a) Are valid for the life of the motor vehicle;
(b) Are not required to be renewed; and
(c) Must be displayed on the rear of the motor vehicle.
(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.
(5) Collector vehicle license plates under subsection (2)(b) of this section may be transferred from one motor vehicle to another motor vehicle described in subsection (1) of this section upon application to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director.
(6) Any person who knowingly provides a false or facsimile license plate under subsection (2)(b) of this section is subject to a traffic infraction and fine in an amount equal to the monetary penalty for a violation of RCW 46.16A.200
(7)(b). Additionally, the person must pay for the cost of a collector vehicle license plate as listed in *RCW 46.17.220
(1)(d), unless already paid. [2011 c 243 § 1; 2011 c 171 § 70; 2010 c 161 § 617.
[2011 c 243 § 1; 2011 c 171 § 70; 2010 c 161 § 617.]
*(1) RCW 46.17.220
was amended by 2012 c 65 § 4, changing subsection (1)(d) to subsection (1)(e), effective January 1, 2013. RCW 46.17.220
was subsequently amended by 2014 c 77 § 2, changing subsection (1)(e) to subsection (1)(f), effective January 1, 2015.
(2) This section was amended by 2011 c 171 § 70 and by 2011 c 243 § 1, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025
(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025
Effective date—2011 c 243 § 1: "Section 1 of this act takes effect August 1, 2011." [2011 c 243 § 3.]
Intent—Effective date—2011 c 171:
See notes following RCW 4.24.210
Effective date—Intent—Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session—2010 c 161:
See notes following RCW 46.04.013