ORV registrations and decals are required under this chapter except for the following:
(1) Off-road vehicles owned and operated by the United States, another state, or a political subdivision of the United States or another state.
(2) Off-road vehicles owned and operated by this state, a municipality, or a political subdivision of this state or the municipality.
(3) Off-road vehicles operated on and across agricultural and timber lands owned, leased, or managed by the off-road vehicle owner or operator or operator's employer.
(4) Off-road vehicles owned by a resident of another state that have a valid ORV use permit or vehicle registration issued in accordance with the laws of the other state. This exemption applies only to the extent that a similar exemption or privilege is granted under the laws of that state.
(5) Off-road vehicles while being used for emergency management purposes under the authority or direction of an appropriate agency that engages in emergency management, as defined in RCW 46.09.310, or search and rescue, as defined in RCW 38.52.010, or a law enforcement agency as defined in RCW 16.52.011.
(6) Vehicles registered under chapter 46.16A RCW or, in the case of nonresidents, vehicles validly registered for operation over public highways in the jurisdiction of the owner's residence.
(7) Off-road vehicles operated by persons who, in good faith, render emergency care or assistance with respect to an incident involving off-road vehicles. Persons who operate off-road vehicles to render such care, assistance, or advice are not liable for civil damages resulting from any act or omission in the rendering of such care, assistance, or advice, other than acts or omissions constituting gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.
[2013 2nd sp.s. c 23 § 14; 2011 c 171 § 26; 2010 c 161 § 217; 2004 c 105 § 9; 1986 c 206 § 3; 1977 ex.s. c 220 § 4; 1972 ex.s. c 153 § 6; 1971 ex.s. c 47 § 10. Formerly RCW 46.09.050.]
| Finding -- Intent -- 2013 2nd sp.s. c 23: See note following RCW 46.09.442.|
Effective date -- 2013 2nd sp.s. c 23: See note following RCW 46.09.310.
Intent -- Effective date -- 2011 c 171: See notes following RCW 4.24.210.
Effective date -- Intent -- Legislation to reconcile chapter 161, Laws of 2010 and other amendments made during the 2010 legislative session -- 2010 c 161: See notes following RCW 46.04.013.
Effective date -- 1986 c 206: See note following RCW 46.09.310.
Purpose -- 1972 ex.s. c 153: See RCW 79A.35.070.