Special reports — Political advertising.
(1) The sponsor of political advertising who, within twenty-one days of an election, publishes, mails, or otherwise presents to the public political advertising supporting or opposing a candidate or ballot proposition that qualifies as an independent expenditure with a fair market value of one thousand dollars or more shall deliver, either electronically or in written form, a special report to the commission within twenty-four hours of, or on the first working day after, the date the political advertising is first published, mailed, or otherwise presented to the public.
(2) If a sponsor is required to file a special report under this section, the sponsor shall also deliver to the commission within the delivery period established in subsection (1) of this section a special report for each subsequent independent expenditure of any size supporting or opposing the same candidate who was the subject of the previous independent expenditure, supporting or opposing that candidate's opponent, or supporting or opposing the same ballot proposition that was the subject of the previous independent expenditure.
(3) The special report must include:
(a) The name and address of the person making the expenditure;
(b) The name and address of the person to whom the expenditure was made;
(c) A detailed description of the expenditure;
(d) The date the expenditure was made and the date the political advertising was first published or otherwise presented to the public;
(e) The amount of the expenditure;
(f) The name of the candidate supported or opposed by the expenditure, the office being sought by the candidate, and whether the expenditure supports or opposes the candidate; or the name of the ballot proposition supported or opposed by the expenditure and whether the expenditure supports or opposes the ballot proposition; and
(g) Any other information the commission may require by rule.
(4) All persons required to report under RCW 42.17A.225, 42.17A.235, 42.17A.240, 42.17A.255, and 42.17A.305 are subject to the requirements of this section. The commission may determine that reports filed pursuant to this section also satisfy the requirements of RCW 42.17A.255.
(5) The sponsor of independent expenditures supporting a candidate or opposing that candidate's opponent required to report under this section shall file with each required report an affidavit or declaration of the person responsible for making the independent expenditure that the expenditure was not made in cooperation, consultation, or concert with, or at the request or suggestion of, the candidate, the candidate's authorized committee, or the candidate's agent, or with the encouragement or approval of the candidate, the candidate's authorized committee, or the candidate's agent.
[2010 c 204 § 413; 2005 c 445 § 7; 2001 c 54 § 1. Formerly RCW 42.17.103.]
| Effective date -- 2001 c 54: "This act takes effect January 1, 2002." [2001 c 54 § 4.]|