Unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context, the following words and phrases as hereinafter used in this chapter shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Accumulated additional contributions" shall mean the sum of all the additional contributions, deducted from the compensation of a member, standing to the credit of his or her individual account, together with regular interest thereon.
(2) "Accumulated contributions" shall mean accumulated normal contributions plus accumulated additional contributions.
(3) "Accumulated normal contribution" shall mean the sum of all normal contributions, deducted from the compensation of a member, standing to the credit of his or her individual account, together with regular interest thereon.
(4) "Additional contributions" shall mean the contributions provided for in RCW 41.28.040(4).
(5) "Annuity" shall mean payments derived from contributions made by a member as provided in RCW 41.28.130 and 41.28.150.
(6) "Beneficiary" shall mean any person in receipt of a pension, annuity, retirement allowance, disability allowance, or any other benefit provided in this chapter.
(7) "Board" shall mean "board of administration" as provided in RCW 41.28.080.
(8) "City" shall mean any city of the first class as described in RCW 41.28.005.
(9) "City service" shall mean service rendered to city for compensation, and for the purpose of this chapter, a member shall be considered as being in city service only while he or she is receiving compensation from the city for such service.
(10) "Compensation" shall mean the compensation payable in cash, plus the monetary value, as determined by the board of administration, of any allowance in lieu thereof.
(11) "Compensation earnable" by a member shall mean the average compensation as determined by the board of administration upon the basis of the average period of employment of members in the same group or class of employment and at the same rate of pay.
(12) "Continuous service" shall mean uninterrupted employment by that city, except that discontinuance of city service of a member caused by layoff, leave of absence, suspension, or dismissal, followed by reentrance into city service within one year, shall not count as a break in the continuity of service: PROVIDED, That for the purpose of establishing membership in the retirement system continuous service shall mean six months' service in any one year.
(13) "Creditable service" shall mean such service as is evidenced by the record of normal contributions received from the employee plus prior service if credit for same is still intact or not lost through withdrawal of accumulated normal contributions as provided in RCW 41.28.110.
(14) "Employee" shall mean any regularly appointed officer or regularly appointed employee of a first-class city as described in RCW 41.28.005, whose compensation in such employment is paid wholly by that city.
(15) "Final compensation" means the annual average of the greatest compensation earnable by a member during any consecutive five-year period of service for which service credit is allowed.
(16) "Fiscal year" shall mean any year commencing with January 1st, and ending with December 31st, next following.
(17) "Member" shall mean any person included in the membership of the retirement system as provided in RCW 41.28.030.
(18) "Normal contributions" shall mean contributions at the rate provided for in RCW 41.28.040(1).
(19) "Pension" shall mean payments derived from contributions made by the city as provided for in RCW 41.28.130 and 41.28.150.
(20) "Prior service" shall mean the service of a member for compensation rendered to the city prior to July 1, 1939, and shall also include military or naval service of a member to the extent specified in RCW 41.28.050.
(21) "Regular interest," unless changed by the board of administration as provided in RCW 41.28.060, shall mean interest at four percent per annum, compounded annually.
(22) "Retirement allowance" shall mean the pension plus the annuity.
(23) "Retirement fund" shall mean "employees' retirement fund" as created and established in RCW 41.28.070.
(24) "Retirement system" shall mean "employees' retirement system," provided for in RCW 41.28.020.
[2012 c 117 § 43; 1967 c 185 § 1; 1963 c 91 § 1; 1939 c 207 § 2; RRS § 9592-102.]
| Reviser's note: The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|