Unless the context of this chapter otherwise requires, the terms contained in this section have the meanings indicated.
(1) "Account" means a contract of deposit between a depositor or depositors and a financial institution; the term includes a checking account, savings account, certificate of deposit, savings certificate, share account, savings bond, and other like arrangements.
(2) "Actual knowledge" means written notice to a manager of a branch of a financial institution, or an officer of the financial institution in the course of his or her employment at the branch, pertaining to funds held on deposit in an account maintained by the branch received within a period of time which affords the financial institution a reasonable opportunity to act upon the knowledge.
(3) "Agency account" means an account to which funds may be deposited and from which payments may be made by an agent designated by a depositor. In the event there is more than one depositor named on an account, each depositor may designate the same or a different agent for the purpose of depositing to or making payments of funds from a depositor's account.
(4) "Agent" means a person designated by a depositor or depositors in a contract of deposit or other document to have the authority to deposit and to make payments from an account in the name of the depositor or depositors.
(5) "Depositor," when utilized in determining the rights of individuals to funds in an account, means an individual who owns the funds. When utilized in determining the rights of a financial institution to make or withhold payment, and/or to take any other action with regard to funds held under a contract of deposit, "depositor" means the individual or individuals who have the current right to payment of funds held under the contract of deposit without regard to the actual rights of ownership thereof by these individuals. A trust or P.O.D. account beneficiary becomes a depositor only when the account becomes payable to the beneficiary by reason of having survived the depositor or depositors named on the account, depending upon the provisions of the contract of deposit.
(6) "Depositor's funds" or "funds of a depositor" means the amount of all deposits belonging to or made for the benefit of a depositor, less all withdrawals of the funds by the depositor or by others for the depositor's benefit, plus the depositor's prorated share of any interest or dividends included in the current balance of the account and any proceeds of deposit life insurance added to the account by reason of the death of a depositor.
(7) "Director" means the director of the department of financial institutions or his or her designee.
(8) "Financial institution" means a bank, trust company, mutual savings bank, savings and loan association, or credit union authorized to do business and accept deposits in this state under state or federal law.
(9) "Individual" means a human being; "person" includes an individual, corporation, partnership, limited partnership, joint venture, trust, or other entity recognized by law to have separate legal powers.
(10) "Joint account with right of survivorship" means an account in the name of two or more depositors and which provides that the funds of a deceased depositor become the property of one or more of the surviving depositors.
(11) "Joint account without right of survivorship" means an account in the name of two or more depositors and which contains no provision that the funds of a deceased depositor become the property of the surviving depositor or depositors.
(12) "Payment(s)" of sums on deposit includes withdrawal, payment by check or other directive of a depositor or his or her agent, any pledge of sums on deposit by a depositor or his or her agent, any set-off or reduction or other disposition of all or part of an account balance, and any payments to any person under RCW 30.22.120, 30.22.140, 30.22.150, 30.22.160, 30.22.170, 30.22.180, 30.22.190, 30.22.200, and 30.22.220.
(13) "Promotional contest of chance" means a promotional contest conducted pursuant to RCW 9.46.0356(1)(b).
(14) "Proof of death" means a certified or authenticated copy of a death certificate, or photostatic copy thereof, purporting to be issued by an official or agency of the jurisdiction where the death purportedly occurred, or a certified or authenticated copy of a record or report of a governmental agency, domestic or foreign, that a person is dead. In either case, the proofs constitute prima facie proof of the fact, place, date, and time of death, and identity of the decedent and the status of the dates, circumstances, and places disclosed by the record or report.
(15) "Request" means a request for withdrawal, or a check or order for payment, which complies with all conditions of the account, including special requirements concerning necessary signatures and regulations of the financial institution; but if the financial institution conditions withdrawal or payment on advance notice, for purposes of this chapter the request for withdrawal or payment is treated as immediately effective and a notice of intent to withdraw is treated as a request for withdrawal.
(16) "Single account" means an account in the name of one depositor only.
(17) "Trust or P.O.D. account beneficiary" means a person or persons, other than a codepositor, who has or have been designated by a depositor or depositors to receive the depositor's funds remaining in an account upon the death of a depositor or all depositors.
(18) "Trust and P.O.D. accounts" means accounts payable on request to a depositor during the depositor's lifetime, and upon the depositor's death to one or more designated beneficiaries, or which are payable to two or more depositors during their lifetimes, and upon the death of all depositors to one or more designated beneficiaries. The term "trust account" does not include deposits by trustees or other fiduciaries where the trust or fiduciary relationship is established other than by a contract of deposit with a financial institution.
(19) "Withdrawal" means payment to a person pursuant to check or other directive of a depositor.
[2011 c 336 § 747; 2011 c 303 § 4; 1981 c 192 § 4.]
| Reviser's note: (1) The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|
(2) This section was amended by 2011 c 303 § 4 and by 2011 c 336 § 747, each without reference to the other. Both amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025(1).
Findings -- Intent -- 2011 c 303: See note following RCW 9.46.0356.
Powers of attorney or agent in probate and trust banking transactions: RCW 11.94.030.