Duties of the office of student financial assistance.
The office of student financial assistance shall:
(1) With the assistance of the office of the superintendent of public instruction, implement and administer the Washington college bound scholarship program;
(2) Develop and distribute, to all schools with students enrolled in grade seven or eight, a pledge form that can be completed and returned electronically or by mail by the student or the school to the office of student financial assistance;
(3) Develop and implement a student application, selection, and notification process for scholarships;
(4) Track scholarship recipients to ensure continued eligibility and determine student compliance for awarding of scholarships;
(5) Subject to appropriation, deposit funds into the state educational trust fund;
(6) Purchase tuition units under the advanced college tuition payment program in chapter 28B.95 RCW to be owned and held in trust by the *board, for the purpose of scholarship awards as provided for in this section; and
(7) Distribute scholarship funds, in the form of tuition units purchased under the advanced college tuition payment program in chapter 28B.95 RCW or through direct payments from the state educational trust fund, to institutions of higher education on behalf of scholarship recipients identified by the office, as long as recipients maintain satisfactory academic progress.
[2011 1st sp.s. c 11 § 228; 2007 c 405 § 5.]
| *Reviser's note: The higher education coordinating board ("board") was abolished by 2011 1st sp.s. c 11 § 301, effective July 1, 2012. The office of student financial assistance replaced the higher education coordinating board for higher education financial aid responsibilities pursuant to 2011 1st sp.s. c 11 § 102, effective July 1, 2012.|
Effective date -- 2011 1st sp.s. c 11 §§ 101-103, 106-202, 204-244, and 301: See note following RCW 28B.76.020.
Intent -- 2011 1st sp.s. c 11: See note following RCW 28B.76.020.