The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Acknowledged father" means a man who has established a father-child relationship under RCW 26.26.300
(2) "Adjudicated parent" means a person who has been adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction to be the parent of a child.
(3) "Alleged parent" means a person who alleges himself or herself to be, or is alleged to be, the genetic parent or a possible genetic parent of a child, but whose parentage has not been determined. The term does not include:
(a) A presumed parent;
(b) A person whose parental rights have been terminated or declared not to exist; or
(c) A donor.
(4) "Assisted reproduction" means a method of causing pregnancy other than sexual intercourse. The term includes:
(a) Artificial insemination;
(b) Donation of eggs;
(c) Donation of embryos;
(d) In vitro fertilization and transfer of embryos; and
(e) Intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
(5) "Child" means an individual of any age whose parentage may be determined under this chapter.
(6) "Commence" means to file the petition seeking an adjudication of parentage in a superior court of this state or to serve a summons and the petition.
(7) "Determination of parentage" means the establishment of the parent-child relationship by the signing of a valid acknowledgment of paternity under RCW 26.26.300
or adjudication by the court.
(8) "Domestic partner" means a state registered domestic partner as defined in chapter 26.60
(9) "Donor" means an individual who contributes a gamete or gametes for assisted reproduction, whether or not for consideration. The term does not include:
(a) A person who provides a gamete or gametes to be used for assisted reproduction with his or her spouse or domestic partner; or
(b) A woman who gives birth to a child by means of assisted reproduction, except as otherwise provided in RCW 26.26.210
(10) "Ethnic or racial group" means, for purposes of genetic testing, a recognized group that an individual identifies as all or part of the individual's ancestry or that is so identified by other information.
(11) "Fertility clinic" means a facility that provides assisted reproduction services or gametes to be used in assisted reproduction.
(12) "Gamete" means either a sperm or an egg.
(13) "Genetic parent" means a person who is the source of the egg or sperm that produced the child. The term does not include a donor.
(14) "Genetic testing" means an analysis of genetic markers to exclude or identify a man as the father or a woman as the mother of a child. The term includes an analysis of one or a combination of the following:
(a) Deoxyribonucleic acid; and
(b) Blood-group antigens, red-cell antigens, human-leukocyte antigens, serum enzymes, serum proteins, or red-cell enzymes.
(15) "Identifying information" includes, but is not limited to, the following information of the gamete donor:
(a) The first and last name of the person; and
(b) The age of the person at the time of the donation.
(16) "Man" means a male individual of any age.
(17) "Parent" means an individual who has established a parent-child relationship under RCW 26.26.101
(18) "Parent-child relationship" means the legal relationship between a child and a parent of the child. The term includes the mother-child relationship and the father-child relationship.
(19) "Parentage index" means the likelihood of parentage calculated by computing the ratio between:
(a) The likelihood that the tested person is the parent, based on the genetic markers of the tested person, genetic parent, and child, conditioned on the hypothesis that the tested person is the parent of the child; and
(b) The likelihood that the tested person is not the parent, based on the genetic markers of the tested person, genetic parent, and child, conditioned on the hypothesis that the tested person is not the parent of the child and that the parent is of the same ethnic or racial group as the tested person.
(20) "Physician" means a person licensed to practice medicine in a state.
(21) "Presumed parent" means a person who, by operation of law under RCW 26.26.116
, is recognized as the parent of a child until that status is rebutted or confirmed in a judicial proceeding.
(22) "Probability of parentage" means the measure, for the ethnic or racial group to which the alleged parent belongs, of the probability that the individual in question is the parent of the child, compared with a random, unrelated person of the same ethnic or racial group, expressed as a percentage incorporating the parentage index and a prior probability.
(23) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(24) "Signatory" means an individual who authenticates a record and is bound by its terms.
(25) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, or an Indian tribe or band, or Alaskan native village, that is recognized by federal law or formally acknowledged by state law.
(26) "Support enforcement agency" means a public official or agency authorized to seek:
(a) Enforcement of support orders or laws relating to the duty of support;
(b) Establishment or modification of child support;
(c) Determination of parentage; or
(d) Location of child support obligors and their income and assets.
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
Costs—2011 c 283:
"Any action taken by an agency to implement the provisions of this act must be accomplished within existing resources. Any costs incurred by the administrative office of the courts for modifications to the judicial information system as a result of the provisions of this act shall be paid from the judicial information system account." [ 2011 c 283 § 56.
Application—2011 c 283:
"This act applies to causes of action filed on or after July 22, 2011." [ 2011 c 283 § 58.