(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful for a person to market estate distribution documents, directly or indirectly, in or from this state unless the person is authorized to practice law in this state.
(2) A person employed by someone authorized to practice law in this state may gather information for, or assist in the preparation of, estate distribution documents as long as that person does not provide any legal advice.
(3) This chapter applies to any person who markets estate distribution documents in or from this state. Marketing occurs in this state, whether or not either party is then present in this state, if the offer originates in this state or is directed into this state or is received or accepted in this state.
(4) This chapter does not apply to any financial institution.
(5) This chapter does not apply to a certificate holder or licensee regulated under chapter 18.04 RCW for purposes of gathering information for the preparation of an estate distribution document.
(6) This chapter does not apply to an individual who is an enrolled agent enrolled to practice before the internal revenue service pursuant to Treasury Department Circular No. 230 for purposes of gathering information for the preparation of an estate distribution document.
[2009 c 113 § 3; 2007 c 67 § 3.]