The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Administer" means the direct application of a drug or device, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject.
(2) "Business licensing system" means the mechanism established by chapter 19.02
RCW by which business licenses, endorsed for individual state-issued licenses, are issued and renewed utilizing a business license application and a business license expiration date common to each renewable license endorsement.
(3) "Commission" means the pharmacy quality assurance commission.
(4) "Compounding" means the act of combining two or more ingredients in the preparation of a prescription.
(5) "Controlled substance" means a drug or substance, or an immediate precursor of such drug or substance, so designated under or pursuant to the provisions of chapter 69.50
(6) "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive, or attempted transfer from one person to another of a drug or device, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
(7) "Department" means the department of health.
(8) "Device" means instruments, apparatus, and contrivances, including their components, parts, and accessories, intended (a) for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in human beings or other animals, or (b) to affect the structure or any function of the body of human beings or other animals.
(9) "Dispense" means the interpretation of a prescription or order for a drug, biological, or device and, pursuant to that prescription or order, the proper selection, measuring, compounding, labeling, or packaging necessary to prepare that prescription or order for delivery.
(10) "Distribute" means the delivery of a drug or device other than by administering or dispensing.
(11) "Drug" and "devices" do not include surgical or dental instruments or laboratory materials, gas and oxygen, therapy equipment, X-ray apparatus or therapeutic equipment, their component parts or accessories, or equipment, instruments, apparatus, or contrivances used to render such articles effective in medical, surgical, or dental treatment, or for use or consumption in or for mechanical, industrial, manufacturing, or scientific applications or purposes. "Drug" also does not include any article or mixture covered by the Washington pesticide control act (chapter 15.58
RCW), as enacted or hereafter amended, nor medicated feed intended for and used exclusively as a feed for animals other than human beings.
(12) "Drugs" means:
(a) Articles recognized in the official United States pharmacopoeia or the official homeopathic pharmacopoeia of the United States;
(b) Substances intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in human beings or other animals;
(c) Substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of human beings or other animals; or
(d) Substances intended for use as a component of any substances specified in (a), (b), or (c) of this subsection, but not including devices or their component parts or accessories.
(13) "Health care entity" means an organization that provides health care services in a setting that is not otherwise licensed by the state. Health care entity includes a freestanding outpatient surgery center or a freestanding cardiac care center. It does not include an individual practitioner's office or a multipractitioner clinic.
(14) "Labeling" means the process of preparing and affixing a label to any drug or device container. The label must include all information required by current federal and state law and pharmacy rules.
(15) "Legend drugs" means any drugs which are required by any applicable federal or state law or regulation to be dispensed on prescription only or are restricted to use by practitioners only.
(16) "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, or processing of a drug or other substance or device or the packaging or repackaging of such substance or device, or the labeling or relabeling of the commercial container of such substance or device, but does not include the activities of a practitioner who, as an incident to his or her administration or dispensing such substance or device in the course of his or her professional practice, personally prepares, compounds, packages, or labels such substance or device. "Manufacture" includes the distribution of a licensed pharmacy compounded drug product to other state licensed persons or commercial entities for subsequent resale or distribution, unless a specific product item has approval of the board [commission]. The term does not include:
(a) The activities of a licensed pharmacy that compounds a product on or in anticipation of an order of a licensed practitioner for use in the course of their professional practice to administer to patients, either personally or under their direct supervision;
(b) The practice of a licensed pharmacy when repackaging commercially available medication in small, reasonable quantities for a practitioner legally authorized to prescribe the medication for office use only;
(c) The distribution of a drug product that has been compounded by a licensed pharmacy to other appropriately licensed entities under common ownership or control of the facility in which the compounding takes place; or
(d) The delivery of finished and appropriately labeled compounded products dispensed pursuant to a valid prescription to alternate delivery locations, other than the patient's residence, when requested by the patient, or the prescriber to administer to the patient, or to another licensed pharmacy to dispense to the patient.
(17) "Manufacturer" means a person, corporation, or other entity engaged in the manufacture of drugs or devices.
(18) "Nonlegend" or "nonprescription" drugs means any drugs which may be lawfully sold without a prescription.
(19) "Person" means an individual, corporation, government, governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity.
(20) "Pharmacist" means a person duly licensed by the commission to engage in the practice of pharmacy.
(21) "Pharmacy" means every place properly licensed by the commission where the practice of pharmacy is conducted.
(22) "Poison" does not include any article or mixture covered by the Washington pesticide control act (chapter 15.58
RCW), as enacted or hereafter amended.
(23) "Practice of pharmacy" includes the practice of and responsibility for: Interpreting prescription orders; the compounding, dispensing, labeling, administering, and distributing of drugs and devices; the monitoring of drug therapy and use; the initiating or modifying of drug therapy in accordance with written guidelines or protocols previously established and approved for his or her practice by a practitioner authorized to prescribe drugs; the participating in drug utilization reviews and drug product selection; the proper and safe storing and distributing of drugs and devices and maintenance of proper records thereof; the providing of information on legend drugs which may include, but is not limited to, the advising of therapeutic values, hazards, and the uses of drugs and devices.
(24) "Practitioner" means a physician, dentist, veterinarian, nurse, or other person duly authorized by law or rule in the state of Washington to prescribe drugs.
(25) "Prescription" means an order for drugs or devices issued by a practitioner duly authorized by law or rule in the state of Washington to prescribe drugs or devices in the course of his or her professional practice for a legitimate medical purpose.
(26) "Secretary" means the secretary of health or the secretary's designee.
(27) "Wholesaler" means a corporation, individual, or other entity which buys drugs or devices for resale and distribution to corporations, individuals, or entities other than consumers. [2013 c 146 § 1; 2013 c 144 § 13; 2013 c 19 § 7. Prior: 2009 c 549 § 1008; 1997 c 129 § 1; 1995 c 319 § 2; 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 § 412; 1984 c 153 § 3; 1982 c 182 § 29; 1979 c 90 § 5; 1963 c 38 § 1.
[2013 c 146 § 1; 2013 c 144 § 13; 2013 c 19 § 7. Prior: 2009 c 549 § 1008; 1997 c 129 § 1; 1995 c 319 § 2; 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 § 412; 1984 c 153 § 3; 1982 c 182 § 29; 1979 c 90 § 5; 1963 c 38 § 1.]
(1) The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
(2) This section was amended by 2013 c 19 § 7, 2013 c 144 § 13, and by 2013 c 146 § 1, each without reference to the other. All amendments are incorporated in the publication of this section under RCW 1.12.025
(2). For rule of construction, see RCW 1.12.025
Effective date—2013 c 146: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately [May 7, 2013]." [2013 c 146 § 3.]
Effective date—Severability—1989 1st ex.s. c 9:
See RCW 43.70.910