It shall be unlawful for any person:
(1) To sell or barter, or offer to sell or barter any license issued by the secretary; or
(2) To purchase or procure by barter any license with the intent to use the same as evidence of the holder's qualification to practice optometry; or
(3) To alter with fraudulent intent in any material regard such license; or
(4) To use or attempt to use any such license which has been purchased, fraudulently issued, counterfeited or materially altered as a valid license; or
(5) To practice optometry under a false or assumed name, or as a representative or agent of any person, firm or corporation with which the licensee has no connection: PROVIDED, Nothing in this chapter nor in the optometry law shall make it unlawful for any lawfully licensed optometrist or association of lawfully licensed optometrists to practice optometry under the name of any lawfully licensed optometrist who may transfer by inheritance or otherwise the right to use such name; or
(6) To practice optometry in this state either for him or herself or any other individual, corporation, partnership, group, public or private entity, or any member of the licensed healing arts without having at the time of so doing a valid license issued by the secretary of health; or
(7) To in any manner barter or give away as premiums either on his or her own account or as agent or representative for any other purpose, firm or corporation, any eyeglasses, spectacles, lenses or frames; or
(8) To use drugs in the practice of optometry, except as authorized under RCW 18.53.010; or
(9) To use advertising whether printed, radio, display, or of any other nature, which is misleading or inaccurate in any material particular, nor shall any such person in any way misrepresent any goods or services (including but without limitation, its use, trademark, grade, quality, size, origin, substance, character, nature, finish, material, content, or preparation) or credit terms, values, policies, services, or the nature or form of the business conducted; or
(10) To advertise the "free examination of eyes," "free consultation," "consultation without obligation," "free advice," or any words or phrases of similar import which convey the impression to the public that eyes are examined free or of a character tending to deceive or mislead the public, or in the nature of "bait advertising;" or
(11) To use an advertisement of a frame or mounting which is not truthful in describing the frame or mounting and all its component parts. Or advertise a frame or mounting at a price, unless it shall be depicted in the advertisement without lenses inserted, and in addition the advertisement must contain a statement immediately following, or adjacent to the advertised price, that the price is for frame or mounting only, and does not include lenses, eye examination and professional services, which statement shall appear in type as large as that used for the price, or advertise lenses or complete glasses, viz.: frame or mounting with lenses included, at a price either alone or in conjunction with professional services; or
(12) To use advertising, whether printed, radio, display, or of any other nature, which inaccurately lays claim to a policy or continuing practice of generally underselling competitors; or
(13) To use advertising, whether printed, radio, display or of any other nature which refers inaccurately in any material particular to any competitors or their goods, prices, values, credit terms, policies or services; or
(14) To use advertising whether printed, radio, display, or of any other nature, which states any definite amount of money as "down payment" and any definite amount of money as a subsequent payment, be it daily, weekly, monthly, or at the end of any period of time.
[2003 c 142 § 2; 1991 c 3 § 138; 1989 c 36 § 2; 1986 c 259 § 82; 1981 c 58 § 3; 1979 c 158 § 47; 1975 1st ex.s. c 69 § 7; 1945 c 78 § 1; 1935 c 134 § 1; 1919 c 144 § 7; Rem. Supp. 1945 § 10152. Cf. 1909 c 235 § 5.]
| Severability -- 2003 c 142: See note following RCW 18.53.010.|
Severability -- 1986 c 259: See note following RCW 18.130.010.
False advertising: Chapter 9.04 RCW.
Violation of Uniform Controlled Substances Act -- Suspension of license: RCW 69.50.413.