The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Appraisal" means the act or process of estimating value; an estimate of value; or of pertaining to appraising and related functions.
(2) "Appraisal management company" means an entity that performs appraisal management services, regardless of the use of the term appraisal management company, mortgage technology provider, lender processing services, lender services, loan processor, mortgage services, real estate closing services provider, settlement services provider, or vendor management company, or any other term.
(3) "Appraisal management services" means to perform any or all of the following functions on behalf of a lender, financial institution, mortgage broker, loan originator, or any other person:
(a) Administer an appraiser panel;
(b) Recruit, qualify, verify licensing or certification, and negotiate fees and service level expectations with persons who are part of an appraiser panel;
(c) Receive an order for an appraisal from one person, or entity, and deliver the order for the appraisal to an appraiser that is part of an appraiser panel for completion;
(d) Track and determine the status of appraisal orders;
(e) Conduct quality control of a completed appraisal prior to the delivery of the appraisal to the person that ordered the appraisal; and
(f) Provide a completed appraisal performed by an appraiser to one or more persons that have ordered an appraisal.
(4) "Appraisal review" or "appraisal review services" means developing and communicating an opinion about the quality of another appraiser's work that was performed, or assignment results that were developed, as part of an appraisal assignment.
(5) "Appraiser" means a person who is licensed or certified under chapter 18.140 RCW or under similar laws of another state.
(6) "Appraiser panel" means a network of appraisers who are independent contractors of an appraisal management company that have:
(a) Independently applied to or responded to an invitation, request, or solicitation from an appraisal management company to perform appraisals for persons, or entities, that have ordered appraisals through the appraisal management company, or to perform appraisals for the appraisal management company directly, on a periodic basis, as assigned by the appraisal management company; and
(b) Been selected, and approved, by an appraisal management company to perform appraisals for a person, or entity, that has ordered an appraisal through the appraisal management company, or to perform appraisals for the appraisal management company directly, on a periodic basis, as assigned by the appraisal management company.
(7) "Controlling person" means:
(a) An owner, officer, or director of a corporation, partnership, or other business entity seeking to offer appraisal management services in this state;
(b) An individual employed, appointed, or authorized by an appraisal management company that has the authority to enter into a contractual relationship with other persons for the performance of appraisal management services and has the authority to enter into agreements with appraisers for the performance of appraisals;
(c) An individual who possesses the power to direct or cause the direction of the management or policies of an appraisal management company;
(d) Any person who controls a partnership, company, association, or corporation through one or more intermediaries, alone or in concert with others, or a ten percent or greater interest in a partnership, company, association, or corporation; or
(e) Any person who controls a limited liability company or is the owner of a sole proprietorship.
(8) "Department" means the department of licensing.
(9) "Director" means the director of the department of licensing.
[2010 c 179 § 1.]