The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Animal" means all members of the animal kingdom except humans, fish, and insects. However, "animal" does not mean noncaptive wildlife as defined in RCW 77.08.010, except as used in RCW 16.36.050(1) and 16.36.080 (1), (2), (3), and (5).
(2) "Animal reproductive product" means sperm, ova, fertilized ova, and embryos from animals.
(3) "Certificate of veterinary inspection" means a legible veterinary health inspection certificate on an official electronic or paper form from the state of origin or from the animal and plant health inspection service (APHIS) of the United States department of agriculture, executed by a licensed and accredited veterinarian or a veterinarian approved by the animal and plant health inspection service. "Certificate of veterinary inspection" is also known as an "official health certificate."
(4) "Communicable disease" means a disease due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products transmitted from an infected person, animal, or inanimate reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the environment.
(5) "Contagious disease" means a communicable disease that is capable of being easily transmitted from one animal to another animal or a human.
(6) "Department" means the department of agriculture of the state of Washington.
(7) "Deputized state veterinarian" means a Washington state licensed and accredited veterinarian appointed and compensated by the director according to state law and department policies.
(8) "Director" means the director of the department or his or her authorized representative.
(9) "Farm-raised fish" means fish raised by aquaculture as defined in RCW 15.85.020. Farm-raised fish are considered to be a part of animal agriculture; however, disease inspection, prevention, and control programs and related activities for farm-raised fish are administered by the department of fish and wildlife under chapter 77.115 RCW.
(10) "Garbage" means the solid animal and vegetable waste and offal together with the natural moisture content resulting from the handling, preparation, or consumption of foods in houses, restaurants, hotels, kitchens, markets, meat shops, packing houses and similar establishments or any other food waste containing meat or meat products.
(11) "Herd or flock plan" means a written management agreement between the owner of a herd or flock and the state veterinarian, with possible input from a private accredited veterinarian designated by the owner and the area veterinarian-in-charge of the United States department of agriculture, animal and plant health inspection service, veterinary services in which each participant agrees to undertake actions specified in the herd or flock plan to control the spread of infectious, contagious, or communicable disease within and from an infected herd or flock and to work toward eradicating the disease in the infected herd or flock.
(12) "Hold order" means an order by the director to the owner or agent of the owner of animals or animal reproductive products which restricts the animals or products to a designated holding location pending an investigation by the director of the disease, disease exposure, well-being, movement, or import status of the animals or animal reproductive products.
(13) "Infectious agent" means an organism including viruses, rickettsia, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, helminthes, or prions that is capable of producing infection or infectious disease.
(14) "Infectious disease" means a clinical disease of humans or animals resulting from an infection with an infectious agent that may or may not be communicable or contagious.
(15) "Livestock" means horses, mules, donkeys, cattle, bison, sheep, goats, swine, rabbits, llamas, alpacas, ratites, poultry, waterfowl, game birds, and other species so designated by statute. "Livestock" does not mean free ranging wildlife as defined in Title 77 RCW.
(16) "Meat processors" means a person licensed to operate a slaughtering establishment under chapter 16.49 RCW or the federal meat inspection act (21 U.S.C. Sec. 601 et seq.).
(17) "Person" means a person, persons, firm, or corporation.
(18) "Quarantine" means the placing and restraining of any animal or its reproductive products by the owner or agent of the owner within a certain described and designated enclosure or area within this state, or the restraining of any animal or its reproductive products from entering this state, as may be directed in an order by the director.
(19) "Reportable disease" means a disease designated by rule by the director as reportable to the department by veterinarians and others made responsible to report by statute.
(20) "Sold" means sale, trade, gift, barter, or any other action that constitutes a change of ownership.
(21) "Veterinary biologic" means any virus, serum, toxin, and analogous product of natural or synthetic origin, or product prepared from any type of genetic engineering, such as diagnostics, antitoxins, vaccines, live microorganisms, killed microorganisms, and the antigenic or immunizing components intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of diseases in animals.
[2011 c 204 § 6. Prior: 2010 c 66 § 1; 2003 c 39 § 9; 1998 c 8 § 1; 1987 c 163 § 1; 1953 c 17 § 1.]
| Reviser's note: The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).|